Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The fear of tempests

Nothing like the fear of God to put the fear of God in you.

In the lyrical and conversational style I prefer of this ficto-science. I will ask you if you remember a common situation.

You are a very young child and a thunderstorm is approaching. The first one you remember. Yes, that one. The loud thunderclaps as if Odin himself had roared and Thor struck the Oerth. And lightning and hard rain, hard, hard rain. It is God, it is Great. It is destruction. It is fear. The first time you saw the dance of lightning, like scissors, forks and knives, like the animal mouth of Fenris-Ulf, with teeth of swords when he walked the Oerth in times of green and of savagery. It is barbaric, without protection and it is beautiful fear.


I have a friend who wrote a thesis on eco-allegory. I really hope he can input here. I recall his writings of nature, coming into the home, and of the fear of the wildness of nature, and of the safety of the home. But these frames can have different lenses.

On this scant memory of David Fonteyn's work I sense a dynamism between the nomos and logos of Ecos.


Dr Fonteyn's work is far more extant than that, and obviously follows different and varied rivulets of thoughts, approaches and regards.


This post cannot be about his work as such.

I had read a book when I was that child first experiencing storms, semipermeably, that early mythical creatures, such as the Djinn (Genie) were anthropomorphic descriptions of meteorological events. And the continuation of the anthropomorphisation of floods, seas parting, rays of sunshine and wildfires to mythical creatures continues.

Animist tradition though imbue the natural world with spirit. I am though interested now in deities, magical, sacred as such, as animals.


Invoking deities from Pharoanic Egypt, the Viking etc allows me to say that deities as bricolage, as tools, are there to help us deal with nature, semi-permeable nature. In a simplistic way, animist traditions are with indigenous cultures, polytheist traditions are in agri-cultures (so the floods will come etc), monotheisms are in moral cultures - laws, codices, accountability. The sources are their in Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals, the works of Bataille, anthropology of Bateson. I will deny academic writing for its passivity. This writing is not supplementing kudos, accountability or career so there is no personal need -as I meander.

So, the Nile had its crocodiles, the ouroboros of Viking legend, Quetzalcoatl's Mayan return all veiled in terms of the nomos conspiring to repress reptoid alien galactic warfare - which is the truth, the logos.

All I will point to at the moment is that I see a lot of horseshit in reptoid discourse and conspiracies. World changing assertions yet without references. And if there is a reference, on inspection, it didn't bear much. And that I don't agree means that I am not inquisitive enough, or enchanted by the spin of media. Did I mention I don't listen to radio or watch TV?

So doomsayers and apocalyptic salesman I think are people with resentments, and the whole world has to suffer - except for them and their herd, obviously! The resentment factor is so magnified it is arguably sublime.

But the One you believe in will sort them all out. Maybe the One will take your slights into consideration.

The fear of mega-weather events is the foundation of metaphysics, spirituality and religion - is the contestation here. It doesn't matter much to me.

As for the taxonomies to be made semipermeable? logos and nomos - ha! the ancient greek embeds in discourse to be shaken, dusted off, cracked, blended, chopped , diced, dressed and the excess thrown over one's shoulder for good fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment